This blog entry will be the final update on my Garmin Forerunner 405cx problems.
My Forerunner 405cx software issues were not fixed by performing a master reset on the watch. A master reset basically wipes out all pre-existing settings and history, and then reloads the software, including the latest software update.
After performing the master reset process late last week, my 405cx is still functional and the battery does hold a charge. The problem is I cannot tell how much battery life is left on the watch. The software “battery gauge” reads either 100% or 0%, whereas in the past it would give me the remaining percentage charge life on the battery. I run four times a week, so I make sure my watch is fully charged before I head out for a run. When the watch is hooked-up to the wall charger, you’ll notice the watch screen reads either “charging” or “complete”. I’m good to go when I see “complete”.
So, my watch functions, but not how it was designed to function.
If you’re interested, below you’ll find the master reset procedures – keep in mind a master reset will erase all saved data on the Forerunner watch. .
Here’s the Master Reset process:
- Press and hold the “start/stop” and “lap/reset” buttons simultaneously
- Keep both buttons pressed for 8 seconds or until the screen goes blank
- The release the “start/stop” button and continue to hold the “lap/reset” button for an additional 3 seconds
- Release the “lap/reset” button
- Select the Enter (“start/stop”) button to clear user data
After this sequence, you’ll follow the set-up prompts and re-set your profile options.